Thursday, January 15, 2015

Still Searching: Yes, I have Privilege. Let's do something with it.


The Oscar nominations came out today and I find myself in a puddle of emotions. And it makes me stare my privilege in the face.

Let's look at the snubs: most are women, women of color, or people of color in general. So basically, if you are a white male, you would be all set. And that is exactly what I am.

There is not a single woman nominated for direction, original or adapted screenplay, cinematography, original score, visual effects, or sound mixing. There isn't a single actor or actress of color nominated.

So, what I can do about it.

I can talk about it. Silence is not an option. I am in a field where representation is very one sided. The theatre and film industry has a severe lack of women represented, in roles written for them, directors, writers, etc. How many women playwrights can you name off the top of your head (and no cheating)? Tony winners for direction or writing? Best director Oscar winners that are women? How many great female parts are often turned into drag roles? Add "women of color" to those questions and try again. Before I took a class on women in the theatre, I could name maybe two female directors and two or three female playwrights. Which is sad, considering that I am a senior in college, studying theatre and have taken two theatre history classes plus NUMEROUS other classes that require reading many a play.  Kate Powers, a wonderful director, professor and human being, taught me that it is important to talk about it. We are simply furthering the problem if we stay silent.

I can do my best to change the problem. If I am in a place to do it, I can hire women directors and I can produce plays written by women. Have you ever heard of the play Water by the Spoonful by Quiara Alegria Hudes? I hadn't before taking Powers' class, but it's a beautiful play that deals with a lot of huge topics (i.e. addiction and PTSD). It won a Pulitzer in 2012. Yet, it is hardly produced. Hades is not a well recognized playwright even though she wrote the book for In the Heights.These are things, as a theatre artist, that I can change.

I know that I have a massive amount of privilege just from being white and from being male. I can't and won't ever deny that. But, I can try to change the representation in the theatre and film world if given the chance. I can speak up about it. I can make people aware because awareness can help breakdown barriers if people are willing to work at it.

EDIT:
Though, we should celebrate Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who is the first Mexican born director nominated for a best director Academy Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment